Monday, September 12, 2011

Life after 9/11

My 9/11 story starts with a lay off.  I was laid off on September 11, 2001.  The rumor mill had confirmed the date weeks ahead, so I was aware of my possible fate.  At the time, I was a Boston-based technology analyst following Internet and e-commerce trends.  The technology bubble had burst months before, so I was convinced that I would be one of the employees to lose my job that day, so I packed ahead.

The morning of 9/11 I felt a sense of anticipation as I waited for the Human Resources representative to show up in my office.  Instead, I started to receive phone calls from colleagues as far away as Denmark and Chile. "There has been a plane crash in New York City," one of them said.  "And the plane came from Boston."  

By the time the Human Resources manager stopped by to talk about my termination package, I was numb in disbelief about the attacks taking place in New York and Washington D.C.  I had worked at 2 World Trade Center years prior.  Downtown Manhattan was where I started my professional life.  First in Wall Street and later at the World Trade Center.  As I heard her list the different package options, my brain could not register the sounds she was making.  Who cared about a job?  My lay off became so insignificant.  I wanted the HR person to leave my office that second so I could call my former colleagues, friends, family.  All lived and worked in Manhattan.

The day after 9/11 was one of the hardest days I have ever lived.  At first, I thought I had a horrific nightmare.  But then reality set in and I felt paralyzing physical pain.  I wanted to stay under the blanket, but I was not sick.  My former city, New York, had been ripped open.  My old work neighborhood looked like a nuclear war zone.  The towers that greeted me every time I came back from a trip into JFK airport had been obliterated.

Then, all of the sudden, I remembered the images I saw on TV the night before of countless firefighters and first response personnel who kept on going despite feeling broken inside.  How in the world could I complain about my pain when others were suffering a million times more?  Their strength lifted me up and helped me understand the fragility of the world we live in.  It was the kick in the rear that I needed to gradually get back on my feet--physically and emotionally.

Over the years, remembering all of what transpired during and after 9/11--the unthinkable evil acts and the extraordinary acts of kindness and courage--has shaped how I make decisions in my personal and professional life.  When I am torn about an engagement that might comprise my values, I ask myself, "Would I be OK having this project mentioned in my obituary? How would I like to be remembered?  And if you think you are too young or too cool to have such sobering thoughts, remember 9/11 and the weeks, months and years after it.  It has been 10 years and it feels as it were yesterday...

If you liked this blog, you might also like:
Making lemonade form lemons:  a job seeker mantra
Giving up is not an option if you want to succeed


1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing your story Anna!! I can't imagine what it must have felt having these two unrelated events coming together the same day and how quickly things get put into perspective. It's so critical to keep this in mind always... that what seems extremely important one moment, may become the most insignificant thing the next, so we should all be keenly aware of where we invest our time, at all times!

    ReplyDelete